Who am I?

I'm a happily married father of 3, 40 hr a week working, no time having, 40 yr old Professional bicycle racer. This is how I make it work. ( Or don't sometimes.)

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Fjallraven Vidda Pro Outdoor Pant Review

Nixon was screaming all night from 12:00 AM until 3:30 AM so I got no sleep. Up at 5:00 anyway to ride. Sat down on the couch at 5:10 for a sec to clear my head and woke up at 6:15. Opportunity to ride gone....
So- how about a product review?
A while ago I got a pair of new Fjallraven Vidda Pro Pants off of E Bay. I've been looking for a new pair of outdoor pants for awhile. I've been using either a pair of Digi Camo BDU pants or my Dickies work pants. I don't always want to wear camo and the Dickies are tough as hell but a bit heavy. Plus, the both suck up water quickly and become saturated while walking in wet brush. I had been looking at the Fjallraven pants for awhile due to their outstanding reputation but at $150.00 they were far above my budget price point. However, I just so happened to find a pair in my size for less than half price shipped on E Bay. Bam. I'll take em. Was hoping to get the Tarmac or Olive color but beggars can't be choosers so I bought em.
3 days later they arrived. I was pleasantly surprised pulling them out of the box for several reasons. 1. I'd read reviews about how the Reg length is around a 32 in inseam. That's too long for me and usually needs to be hemmed. That's a real bummer as these come with adjustable snaps at the leg opening to form a gaiter at your boot. Turns out, that wasn't an issue as they weren't as long as expected. Fit just fine with boots on.
2. These pants felt quite a bit lighter and softer to the touch than I expected. They are made of G-1000 fabric. From Fjallraven-

 G-1000 is Fjällräven’s own hardwearing and versatile fabric, a proven outdoor classic that will prepare you for all types of adventures, in all climates, year round – from the tropics to the polar regions. The densely woven fabric (65% polyester and 35% cotton) is treated with Greenland Wax. This combination makes G-1000 one of the world’s best outdoor fabrics with a number of strong properties: 
• Durable G-1000 is very resistant to wear, and this in combination with its low weight makes it an excellent choice for both traveling and outdoor life.
• Water resistant Greenland Wax makes G-1000 garments very resistant to rain and moisture. This means that you can wear them during brief rain showers. If the fabric gets wet, it will dry fast.
• Windproof The dense weave makes G-1000 almost totally windproof. Once infused with Greenland Wax it offers complete protection against biting winds.
I'd assumed that the "hardwearing" wax treated fabric would be heavier and stiffer feeling. Wrong.
Love the right hand thigh pocket. It has an elastic pocket that was perfect for carrying my phone. Located right at my fingertips, I could pull out the phone for a quick pic whenever needed. Plenty of pockets on these pants make for easy access and lots of space for necessities. They do fit snug through the butt and thighs. This wasn't a drawback however, allowing the p[ants to move with me and hold the pocket contents snug. The lack of rear pockets was a surprise but took little time to get use to. Only nitpick here is the snap closures on all of the pockets. Velcro tabs may make it easier to open and close ( particularly close ) the flaps. Not huge, just an observation.
The G-1000 fabric works awesome by the way. Very breathable while water beads and rolls off, this fabric works great for outdoors. I'm interested in how long until I'll need to apply more wax treatment. My January trip should be a good indicator.
Another feature I almost forgot about- These have double knees on them. The bottoms of the knee panel have an opening where you could insert a foam knee pad if needed. This should be quite handy for that Okefenokee paddling trip coming up in February!
So far, I love these pants. Everything I was hoping for in a pant and glad I bought them. Looking forward to giving them hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment