Who am I?

I'm a happily married father of 3, 40 hr a week working, no time having, 40 yr old Professional bicycle racer. This is how I make it work. ( Or don't sometimes.)

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Weekend wrap up.

My weekends are Sunday/ Monday so here's what's been going on...
Sunday- woke up early Sunday morning with both legs cramping up the second I moved in the bed. "Awesome. That's gonna make for an impressive effort at today's race" I thought. Perhaps it was a tiny bit of a bad idea for Kevin and I to sit around all night watching football and drinking a case of PBR. Anyhoo- flopped out of the bed, held onto the dresser, and got ready to get my A game on. Or my C game. F+ game maybe?
After dinking around all morning it was time to head over to the race. Almost forgot to eat anything so Liza made us some Bacon, Egg, and Cheese sandwiches. F+ game is now a solid D-game. So we stopped by Dunkin Donuts on the way over to Harbison State Forest. Had to get a regular Coke instead of a Diet Coke. Head game totally gone after that. Back to F Game. But I got a Croissant Donut with Bavarian cream inside.......Solid C+ game now!

5 minutes later we got to the race venue and got set up. My wet unlaminated number plate fell apart while trying to zip tie it to my bike, everyone else's number at least made it 100 yards down the trail before disintegrating. Got a "warm up" in and returned just in time to watch Paxton and Charlie race. Good stuff. Paxton was mesmerized by a cowbell ringing and didn't see Charlie sneak off for the win. Lazer focus folks...
When I say "warm up" I mean instantly see my HR hit 180-190 with no effort. I'm going to feel just wonderful in about 15 min. And I did just that...got into the woods in 2nd wheel right behind Wes. Soon we had a good pace going, didn't feel too bad, and were down to a group of 4. Wes gave it some gas on the penultimate climb on the 1st lap and I let him roll knowing I didn't have too much in me for going over redline. 3rd place passed me and went after him. No worries, I figured I'd see him later anyways. Brad, in 4th dropped off a little as well. Starting the 2nd lap, I felt like hell. Concrete legs and sick to my stomach. Brad was pulling me back little by little. Didn't last long though and 10 min into the 2nd lap I lit it up a bit pulling away from 4th and closing on 2nd in the tight singletrack where I was stronger. Soon, I was alone and closing on 2nd. This would stay this way through the end of the 3rd 6.5 mile lap until those sorry ass cramps showed up....
They showed up full strength all through the last 1/2 hr of the race. Soon, I couldn't stand anymore but could barely pedal sitting down. Just had to get to the finish..... Which I did eventually, holding on for 3rd. I'll take it considering I haven't been this slow in probably 20 years. The good thing, however; is that I'll only be faster from here out. Hope everyone enjoyed it....

Monday-
Woke up feeling all beat to hell like I destroyed myself Sunday. Legs still feeling all "crampy". Had to do something so I decided to go for a hike down in Congaree National Park. Solid 7 mile hike in about 2:20 got the job done. Was a little wet but not nearly as bad as the 10 miles of shin deep water I hiked in there last Feb.Now I was starving and headed home for lunch, housecleaning, and a movie. Here's some pics-




Trees down everywhere from Hurricane Matthew. The one above was 6 feet high just on the bottom tree trunk...




Love it down at Congaree, so quiet and I never see anyone else out there. Doesn't hurt that I only go when it's wet and a weekday. I want to check out the canoe trail soon, there's only about 20 miles of hiking trails and I've been on all of those already.

And today? Slept like crap last night, rode the damn trainer this morning for 45 min of tempo at 255 watts. Then found the tiniest reason why I needed to get off the bike. Amazed I made it that long. Been sore all day...
Better luck tomorrow I guess.
Later-

No comments:

Post a Comment